Wednesday, September 22, 2004

First steps towards becoming a writer... noo!

I can hear the A/C working. It’s so silent in here. I can hear my thoughts as if a person next to me was reading them aloud. So you don’t know where I am yet? Well, I am at work. We haven’t been busy today but somehow time managed to pass by quickly and unnoticed.
I was reading a book but I finished it, it took me less than a day to read it, by the way it was a good book, it is called Amadeus by Peter Shaffer, it actually is a play.
If there weren’t cars passing by outside I would even dare to say time has stopped. Clouds are completely still, they look like mountains in the sky. However, as you can see I finally decided to write something in my BLOG. I’m not sure yet if I’m doing this out of boredom or if it comes purely out my desire to amuse my readers whom at this point are none. Maybe this is my first step towards finding that writing is my vocation, maybe I have the knack of writing… but then, again, nooo… I have always been a bad writer, I guess it is just lack of creativity. I remember that when I was in forth or fifth grade our Spanish teacher would make us write short plays and the we would have to perform them in front of the class. I will say this just once so read well. I was the one who would write the this-is-so-boring stuff. The worst of all was my teacher who would say: “very good, very well done, nice effort”. Now that I think about it she was either being ironic or she knew a shit about writing. I personally would go for the first option. I mean I would write really dumb-non-sense things. Anyway, I guess I already overcame those experiences.
I have to confess that sometimes I wish I could write banal and yet funny stuff. I mean it is not that I’m always bullshitting, but when I do bullshit I say stuff I would like to write down. Isn’t that weird?
So yes, this is a little introduction to my writing skills, this is not an apologize for things you might read here in the future, I’m not writing this so that you will read my stuff and say: “oh well, he told us he was a bad writer, what else can we expect from him?.”
I remember that last year we studied something about this in Spanish, I mean something about writers apologizing with their readers. It was some kind of rethoric figure (figura retorica) which was called I don’t know what but it had something to do with writers apologizing for what they wrote or for the impressions it might cause. I should probably find out what was it called.
Something that intrigues me is if you can actually become a good writer by reading a lot. I read a lot and I haven’t seen any result, this is probably like wondering if you can become a good dancer by listening music all the time… I would actually change the dancer thing and say instead a composer or singer, the analogy makes more sense that way. You see I have studied for my SAT analogies!
Something I never see my self doing is writing a 1000-page book, oh no! I mean I don’t know if I ever would be able to write so much, I guess I would either get tired or just run out of ideas. You see, no 1001 nights for me but 1 night and 1000 words, you get it? Let it marinate… I even got to 5 nights and 4000 words when I rewrote my Extended Essay. Ok, basta of dummy comments.
Have you realized that when you email someone you know that whatever you wrote will stay there, there is no way back whatsoever, I guess that writers feel the same way once they publish their books. They publish it and then they sit back waiting to be either scorned or adore by the critics. It isn’t a to-be-or-not-to-be question, whatever you do you’ll be! Of course you will either be one or, maybe, both. I find that part of writers’ lives exciting. Just like playing Russian roulette, each time you pull the trigger you never know if it will come out good or bad… (relative to your own point of view about bad and good).
Well I guess that with all these I achieved to expose my opinion about writing and suggest some explicit ideas about my writing skills. But anyway I created this blog and I can destroy it HAHAHA (villainous laughter), but I won’t. I will try first. So enjoy it as much as I will… will I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home